Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Of Rainy days & forgotten cigarettes

Its been raining non-stop now for the last hour.

Thrice today i had to listen to thunder and rain sloshing when all i really want to do is go for a quick run outside and sushi afterwards.

I'm stuck at home, and with not much to do but finish reading Paul Theroux's "My Other Life" and get some really overdue accounting task done. The novel is good, but i'm somehow feeling restless and not in a reading mood. As for the accounts-thingy, sigh....i'm just procrastinating, maybe its the rain.

Rainy weather ALWAYS has this power to make me remember old memories, days of being free and restless, days of searching and never knowing exactly what it is i'm searching for. Days of piles of cigarettes in the ashtray; smoking one stick after another and burning my lungs away slowly and somehow liking the feel of it.

Anyway, here's one sweet memory for today.


The Old days


Going home,
I took your offer
Of a sharp ride
on the back of your bike

In the sudden lashing of
rain, I turn
to the blackening sky, icy
drops needles my face and busy
wind touches me with
rough fingers;
she rushes past
loathe to linger

When cold turns
to freezing, I press
my face onto soft warm leather
on your back,
its musky scent a familiar
dark comfort

my hands circle your waist-
a protective charm
against bad luck

The light turns red
Time stills as you press both
my hands against yours
in a brief morse code
of understanding

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home