Saturday, May 13, 2006

Saga - Experimental Series

At the old Harding Road Church compound, I found some dried saga seeds. From a distance they look like blobs of fresh blood.

When i was young, my friends and I collect- as young children love to do, these hard red seeds and use them for 'chongkak' the traditional malay game. I wonder now as i write, if anyone in singapore plays chongkak anymore. Chances are, its one of those things that have silently died with the progression of time.

I've never found, when i was young, an entire pod full of seeds still clinging to its husks. So, it was pretty interesting to find a few of them today. Took some photos, but only 1 turned out ok. This photo reminded me of a child's windmill-stick toy, because of the way the saga pods and its seeds form a ringlets branching out from a broken twig of the tree.

I'll probably develop a series on this. What i have in my mind is to take a shot of a saga pod while its still attached to a tree branch (god knows how i'm gonna do this?), add this one shot i've already taken , and the third subject shall be just the seeds in the chongkak board. I would like to call it "History of Saga". I think its gonna be a pretty interesting series for me :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

I remember these. Those striking red seeds that are as hard as pebbles and probably as lasting. If I see them, I'll probably still bend down and pick up the seeds, but I reckon saga trees must be rare. Haven't spotted any of those seeds or pods on the ground for ages.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Yup, the red seeds are fascinating aren't they? Maybe its the small rotund shapes and the striking colours that just grabs one's attention. My sister, when she was toddling, loved these seeds so much that she pushed them up her nostrils! My poor parents had to rush her to the hospital to get them extricated. The trauma of parenting!

11:15 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yeah, i remembered these seeds. used as ammo for catapults when playing as kids.

hard to spot these trees nowadays. wonder how many of today's kids know about these seeds. Mine's don't.

btw, noticed you have changed your blog header. Less cluttered, nice!

:)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Ammo? Tsk! tsk! I guess you were from boys school? I went to Haig Girl's Pri and the boys from Haig Boys had so much fun playing their 'boy games' when we shared the school bus back home. They like to do silly painful things like shoot spitballs and ammo each other, and us girls, unfortunately.
Boys! *roll eyes*

Hey, you can bring your kid/s to Harding Road, off Dempsey Rd, where the MFA /US Embassy is. Its nice to go for a walk or furniture shopping, by the way. Plus, you can show your kids how you used to ammo saga seeds you'll be picking up along the way :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

As a kid i stayed in a kampong, so we were always running around playing. Can never forget those red seeds.

Dempsey Rd. There's where I was packed off to do my NS.(way back in time).

Getting a sense of deja vu reading your post. :)

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home