Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Eid ul-Fitr

This is a very very late post on the recently happened Islamic holiday also known in various parts of the world as:

Feast of the Breaking of the Fast,
Hari Raya Aidil Fitri (Malaysia, Singapore),
Idul Fitri, Lebaran (Indonesia),
Rojar Eid (Bangladesh),
Şeker/Ramazan Bayramı (Turkey),
Ramazanski Bajram (Bosnia),
Suikerfeest (The Netherlands),
Zuckerfest (Germany),
Aïd el-Fitr or Fête du Sucre (France)

"Eid" in Arabic means "festivity" and "Fitr" means "breaking of fast".
It is a day to celebrate the end of a period of abstinence from greed and earthly desires during the Muslim month of Ramadan. Eid ul-Fitr itself takes place on the 1st day of the month of Shawal.

Fasting is the sacred duty of all able-bodied and healthy Muslims. It is one of the pillars of the Islamic faith, and is meant to strengthen one's faith and a reminder of our shared obligation and duty to the poor and suffering.

During fasting from dawn to sunset, Muslims must abstain from eating, drinking, smoking, sexual activity and harbouring any evil thoughts. Basic principles of see no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil applies here. Instead, Muslims are encouraged especially in this holy month, to pray more, give alms to the poor and needy and enrich the soul by doing good deeds.

If you've never tried fasting before in the manner of a muslim, chances are you wont realize how much of human activity tends towards filling up our bodies with food, drink and sex and how little of our time is actually set aside filling our souls with good deeds. For my part, I tend to feed my physical needs more than my spiritual needs and I believe generally as humans, that's what most people do, believing selfishly that life goes on forever and we don't necessarily need to think beyond ourselves or this life. That is why despite the difficulties, I welcome and look forward to the month of Ramadan. To me, it represents an opportunity for muslims to become closer to god, even as they face daily hunger and thirst.

Below are quite a few snapshots of family and friends taken during this festive period :) I'm taking a huge chance on blogger loading it with all these images. Oh well...:)


Snap of my elder sis and her 4 favourite men! See the youngest nephew wrestling with his songkok (malay head-gear). He clearly has issues with it sitting atop his head.


Snap of my mum, younger sis and naughty nephews showing off their hong-baos or money packets! Big smiles all around :) Who doesn't like money?!!!


Hari Raya cupcakes I baked for my sis! They're strawberry and chocolate-fudge flavoured. I love seeing the kids burying their faces in these!!!


All 32 of them to be exact! :) Here they are all lined up prettily in the box waiting to be eaten!


Annoying songkok finally off, after much wrestling and tugging!


Another snap of the youngest nephew. Simply cos the aunty here can't resist showing him off! I call him my creampuff and to him I'm the mad ol' aunty who can't resist plopping his face with her big-ass kissies!

11 Comments:

Blogger STAG said...

Thats priceless!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, looks like i was not the only one busy for raya.

You spent yours baking cupcakes... i peeled onions. Something any self-respecting HouseBoy would be proud to declare.


w00t.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Bill,
I saw your recent photos! You're such a naughty boy!

Ezra,
You good boy you! Wish I can borrow you from your mom to do my dreaded onion-peeling task for me. And I'm guessing the "self-respecting HouseBoy" can cook too eh? ;P

2:02 AM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

One of the great things about Malays is the closeness of the members of the family and I have always liked the way they ask and receive forgiveness, needs a lot of humility and I and others can learn some!I know you had a good time!!!!

8:09 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yeah, plus has said it for me. we have lots of things to learn from you all, and i'm not just talking about your wonderful food. :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Plus,
Current pace of life in Singapore being so fast and work being so challenging to cope with, families in singapore are spending lesser time together actually. Despite that, yeah, we try to make the most of what we have, esp during this festive periods to get together and just enjoy each other's company :) Asking for and giving forgiveness with sincere heart as you said, takes alot of humility, it's never easy to do but it's well worth it :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

dsnake,
likewise my friend :) Eh I love chinese food, esp Chinese roast duck, hainanese chicken rice, double-yolk lotus paste mooncake, wanton noodles, beef horfun...oh no...now you've got me started I can't stop!!!...fish-head steamboat, chicken porridge....fishball noodles...

5:31 PM  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

You have a lovely family, EP. Very nice pics.

8:12 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Allah Yi-khalieeki luhum (May Allah keep them for you safe and sound) ..love the cupcake too

4:34 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Thanks lovely ladies, you're so sweet :)

nasra,
insya-allah! :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Babysunkist said...

your cupcakes look so nice.... i wan to try making them too..

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home