Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Sinful Tale of Pho*

(*Pho~ Famed Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

Father, I must confess…

Lately I have sinned
And no matter how I try, it seems to me,
I cannot resist the ecstasy
Of a Pot of Pho, or two, or three

Father you don’t understand
My consuming gluttony?
I’ll lead you there and I pray you’ll see. Here’s the broth…
Yes, I did warn you the smell IS simply heavenly!

Here, taste these noodles with texture slippery wet
And taste this beef, shaved thin and cooked just-right,
It melts in your mouth
Ah yes…now you see the light!

Noodles, beef and broth served
With a garnish of basil, chillies and a squeezing of lime
Heavens! Father, isn't that your 10th bowl?!
I’m assured then…God won't see this gluttony as a crime?

5 Comments:

Blogger dsnake1 said...

i must confess i haven't try Vietnamese food yet. I thought it might taste like Thai, which i like.

>> Of a Pot of Pho, or two, or three.
hehe, this sounds like nursery rhyme. :)

you must be able to cook this beef noodle soup, right?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

I like nursery rhymes..heheh!
Vietnamese food isn't really like thai, they dont use as much chillies or fragrant lime or lemongrass which the thai's usually employ in their cooking. What it does use more often than not are lots of fresh herbs and salty fish sauce to bring out the flavour of the cooking. You must try it one day, esp Pho Bo :) And yes, I do cook this, though not very often because it takes the whole day just to get a nice rich flavoursome beef stock.

1:22 PM  
Blogger STAG said...

Pho seems to be the "hot new thing" here in Ottawa. Originally they were little restaurants in the front rooms of houses, and they are now expanding to become big restaurants in their own right!

The humble soup. Makes big.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Vietnamese is the nouvelle cuisine is most big cities nowadays. But somehow in Singapore, it's just not catching on, partly due to the fact that it's hard to get really good authentic tasting ones here. It's also pretty expensive here, because beef is not as cheap as compared to Australia or UK. Not many Singaporeans wanna fork out $7-$9 plus for a bowl of noodle soup when they can get the chinese variety for half that price :)

11:29 PM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Love this!! I love Oriental soups, though I've never had Poh, sounds like I might eat several bowls too.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home