Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ennui

The word ennui is french in origin. I've only recently learnt this in my foray into learning french.
Of cos it was ennui that propelled me to pick up Mandarin and French at the same time!
Est-ce que je suis fou ?

So these last few days my ears have been force-fed with hours of Pimsleur's French 1 and Mandarin Chinese 1. Admittedly, Mandarin is much more difficult to master, being a tonal language. And tone-deaf me just cannot get the difference between the 4 sounds. French is much easier as the sentence structure is closer to English and for the fact that some of the words are similar.

Someday soon, I hope to blog in 3 languages. Or write poetry in French or Mandarin??? How absolutely cool is that! That would be loads of fun, and something to look forward to as I'm ceasing to be fascinated with blogging as it is. Fault my silly restless nature. Anyway, with a new job to look forward to, I think things will be more exciting pretty soon hopefully! D'accord....plus tard....a bientot...au revoir! Jai jien!

10 Comments:

Blogger STAG said...

D'Accord! You could travel anywhere in Africa! And see lots of Canada.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Stag! Mais oui! Je voudrais voyager au Canada et Africa! Tres exotique, n'est ce pas? :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Susila Devi said...

Whoa!! You are beginning to scare me. All these French talk is beginning to make me dizzy. Somebody please give me a Tiger balm....

Seriously though, the key to learning a language is practise,practise, practise! Zhe tau ma?

12:50 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

How true..would love to write in spanish as I struggle with my learning ..good luck with poetry in french and me in my spanish

2:17 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Susila....si-fu...wo zhe tau...xie xie xiao-jie ! Anyway, I'm driving Niz crazy cos my favourite phrase to him nowadays is: gei wo yi bei ka-fei! kekeke!!! And yes, i seriously need a partner to practise my limited french on. Starting adjourd'hui :(

Dear Nasra,
Habla espanol? In that case, buenas diaz! Also, i wish you buena suerte in your quest to learn la lengua! :))) Gracias for dropping by and come back again to visit, por favor!!! oh wow, talk about mixed-up communication! Ha!

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show off....
Hehehe....but yes....please say something else besides ordering coffee in Mandarin!!! I've got United Nations in my house......

4:53 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Hey, support me lah! You should learn too, at least I wont be chattering to myself half the time like a silly monkey :P

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO.

Chinese and french. Like night and day. soooo different. One has VERY COMPLEX GRAMMAR, the other is one of the most primitive languages in the world, with no tenses - like evolved hieroglyphics (i hope i spelled that right.).

4:03 AM  
Blogger floots said...

yes
but keep writing in english also
(for poor monoglots like me
je ne parle pas francais bien) :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

dear floots,
honey you write so beautifully in english that you make all of us envious as it is!
Monoglots sound like worms! Yech!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home