Monday, July 10, 2006

Ray and Eve says hello to Sydney, again!

My ex-collegues and buddies Ray and Eve are heading back to Sydney for good now, and it'll be September (hopefully) when we'll see them again. So last Friday we had a BBQ to feed them properly, before they leave. Of cos, its also a good excuse to feed ourselves too, as you'll see in the photos here. After the BBQ, we went to Newton Circus to have more food...arrghhh...the gluttony of these people, its embarassing!!!
Anyway, 2 friends gone now and 2 years back we said goodbye to Yen who went back to Melbourne, and I know Mengster and Romain have plans to work in China next year. Its really sad that I'm losing most of my friends. The husband's good friend is working in the States. It seems more of our friends are going overseas than coming home to stay. Its a reality that we're getting increasingly familiar with. I keep asking the husband if we should seriously considering migrating too. Afterall, Singapore is moving in a direction which I'm not too happy with, the economic divide here and the rate of progress is too rapid. The government's clamp-down on freedom of speech for Singaporeans is also another factor which has cheesed me off staying here, for a long time already. Also, I worry that we will also have bigger problems coping in a country that is getting more Chinese-centric and competitive, that there will soon be a problem for minorities like us to find jobs without facing over-discrimination for not speaking the language, or simply for being the wrong colour. For now, I know the husband's not ready for a complete change for us, but I hope someday soon.



The yummy-looking wings are courtesy of Eve and Ray, beefball-satay courtesy of me, corn by Richard...


Chilling...(Left -Right) : Eve, Bel, Me, Freddy, Jubes, Ray, Meng, Richard, Romain, Vanessa. (Nizz is missing cos he's photographer)


More food: Hotdogs, portobello mushrooms, chicken kebabs, sweet potatoes, veg and mushroom salad.......

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Yuuuuuuummmmmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger STAG said...

Well, you could try visiting Ottawa. Or Vancover.

My barbeques don't look so good! They are usually just slabs of cow, and potatoes in tin foil.

And of course, what Paul said....grin!

11:22 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yeah, the economic divide is getting wider and wider, things are getting expensive. ( today i have no choice but to take a cab for a short distance & it costs me nearly 7 bucks, 2 dollars of peak hour surcharge, what type of crap is that?). i am working with people now who are really scrapping for a living becos their bosses' tenders for jobs are very low (what they claimed but i think is true ).

enuf of this ranting, your BBQ is making me very hungry at this hour.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Pat,
Yeah, craving for it now, again. Yikes!

Bill,
I love slabs of cow and potatoes!! *drooling uncontrollably*
You know, I hear lovely things about Canada from friends who've studied there. Never been, maybe someday soon :)

dsnake,
I'm glad I'm not at the mercy of taxi/MRT companies cos my husband has a car. Still, petrol prices keep going up, and never adjusted down. We're just paying and paying...:)

11:44 PM  
Blogger STAG said...

Glad to crash you and your hubby.

Bill

10:22 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Bill,
thanks hon, mighty sweet of ya =)

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home