Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sailor, my diabetic old cat




Recently, i have not had time to blog so much partly due to the health of my oldest cat, sailor. He was diagnosed with diabetes sometime in May this year and since then, has required twice daily insulin injections and alot of grooming as he no longer has so much energy to clean himself. Although he looks nothing like the bright-eyed, fluffy cat he used to be, sailor still has a lot of life still in him, and for that we're grateful and hope he'll stick around for a few years longer.

Sailor's diabetes has made injection-phobic me a braver person. I was horrified when the vet said we had to administer the insulin for him. I still hate needles but I can perform the injections without jabbing myself too badly in the process now.

The saddest thing about his condition is the significant loss of weight and muscle mass. He's literally a bag of bones now despite my efforts to feed him more protein. Sailor loves his daily walks and appreciates relaxing by the koi pond in the gardens outside, he's really a very gentle and loving 'senior citizen'. But now I'm careful to bring him out only at night becos I hate seeing the looks some people give him. Its understandable to get such a reaction as he resembles a cat that's been severely flattened sideways. I just wish people can be more compassionate sometimes.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.Poor thing. I love cats and I hope he feels better soon.

10:33 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

some people just don't understand the relationships between a person and his/her pet. I used to have a couple of dogs, and yes, they can be much better than some people.

hope Sailor feels better soon.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Hi Liz and dsnake,
Yes, I did some online research from some pet medical sites in the States and found out I should just ditch the vet's advise and change sailor's diet altogether. He handn't shown marked improvement on the insulin and was in fact regressing. Broke my heart to see him that way.

I was kinda pissed off we threw away few hundred dollars each time for consultation which was counter-helpful. Now, he's gaining a few pounds on a new all-protein fresh food diet, looking much better and hopefully he'll be off the insulin totally soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his body system will normalize again.

Thanks for your well wishes for sailor, I will let him know Aunty Liz and Uncle dsnake wish him good health!!! :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

I see you love animals, Sylvia my wife and the rest of the family love dogs and it took me like40 years before I love them too! Insulin is still the best treatment for diabetes...al least for humans, but then I dont know much about pets. Drop by soon and a t my parallel site in multiply and check out the videos, http://alwaysmorebeyond.multiply.com

6:20 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

I come from a family we do not not have pets at all..As teenager the only pet was a hamster (hope I spelled right ) and it died with cancer so it was hard to see it with cancer ...so I understand your point of view... ...Hope your cat will get better

3:19 AM  
Blogger floots said...

my cat means a lot to me
best wishes

11:32 AM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Plus,
Thanks for dropping by, its always great to hear your kind words, always so calming =) I have been visiting yr site, only too rushed to leave comments and signs and other marks of my vist..hehe. Hopefully i have more time to visit soon today. Oh, latest research into human diabetes says that it's now possible to cure it, good news for humans!

Nasra, dear Nasra...
My friends who keep hamsters also tell me their lifespan is usually not very long and hamsters usually die from tumor or cancer. I'm not sure and can't understand why they are very prone to these 2 illness. A friend had her hamster's leg amputated becos of tumour but then a few weeks later the hmaster got sick again from another tumour elsewhere. I try not to keep hamsters after I heard all these stories...too sad!

Floots,
Yeah, you look like you're a cat person :)

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei man..

thks for dropping by earlier...the pussy sure looks like a lion man =)

glad you love animals too!

do remember to post yr holga shots!!!

alixandart

7:24 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Holga shots...very very soon...:)

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home