Thursday, July 13, 2006

Books I'm reading

Last Saturday I was at my favourite hangout: National Library. Bagged 3 books in 5 minutes of browsing:

The Damnation Game - Clive Barker
The Path to the Spider's Nest - Italo Calvino
Q - Luther Blissett

I started by reading the Clive Barker first, because I hadn't read a horror genre for awhile and was in the mood for some tittilating gore and shock. Devoured it in one day. It started off interesting enough, but the suspense kinda became predictable by the end of Chapter 2 and from there on, I was trying hard not to fall asleep; let's just say the story sounded similar to some other's I'd already read before, so there were no suprises.

"...as a child I thought somebody came and took the world away in the night and then came back and unrolled it all again the following morning" (The Damnation Game)
-------------

The Path to the Spider's Nest - is an early novel by Calvino, written when he was 24, and influenced by his experiences in the war. The story is told through the eyes of the main character, Pin, a street urchin, who against his will is hanging on to his innocence and naivety. I'm halfway through this, absorbing and so far so good...
-------------

Q - is described as a thriller and novel of ideas, a cult european best-seller. It tells of 16th century turbulent Europe and promises to be "gripping". But we'll see.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Aren't you just the "mad-scientist-word-devourer!!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! The path to the spider's nest sounds really very interesting!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Damnation Game" is very interesting. It's been a long time since I read a novel. Now, writing my own, is eating my time - editing, re-editing, adding characters and scenes, etc. I'd rather go back reading than creating - it is draining.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Pat,
I'm a scientist of many talents=)

Jon,
Yes, I just finished it. It is good, a novel filled with complex feelings of longing. Also, thanks for visiting my blog, your artwork is amazing by the way! Love the Captain Caveman sculpture
=)

Danny,
I always admire writers. They have lots of perseverance to perfect each work. Looking forward to reading your work!

9:47 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

so, the "mad scientist" is reading novels. hehe. :)

I am reading one , The designer's guide to web type, a book on font designs. Totally unrelated to my work.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

dsnake,
But you seem to be really good with designs and art ya? Man of many talents =)

P.S: I'm reading "Phantom of the Opera" now. By Gaston Leroux. I'm pleased as punch cos I picked it off Bras Basah Complex 2nd hand bookshop for only $2.90!!!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

My, you are a voracious reader. :)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

dsnake,
That, and I have no job and too much time on my hands :)

christian,
It is a good novel; I'm glad I found someone who likes it too :) Lovely ending full of promise, a truly entertaining read!

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home