Friday, June 09, 2006

Word Nut

For some obscure reason, there are certain phrases which my word-obsessed mind stores and keeps of its own volition. Perhaps its the rhythmic aspect to the words or names.
Example in point is 'Xanana Gusmao' or 'pork chippolata'.

Think i've fallen off my rocker yet? Well, i'm gonna confess my silly habit of joining my favourite rhythmic words and phrases together.
Yup, that's me.
The husband groans in mock dread and start the eye-rolling thing each time i come across a potentially rhythmic word and join it together with my other "collections".
But seriously, try saying loudly : Pork Chippolata Xanana Gusmao.
See? Got interesting melody right??? Careful though, silliness can be addictive.

Perhaps its a hint of a mystery behind what the words represent. For example, I am always mystified by the magic of the simple Italian words 'Camera Obscura' . Once you translate it to English though, all the magic is lost and it simply means 'dark-room'. Then again, I've always preferred italian words to english, they're so much more colourful and expressive. Consider how the italians express the word 'rich'. Rich becomes such a dull stodgy word compared to the Italian version which is "swimming in gold". Ah now, that is an image i can totally relate to! 'Sub-rosa', means under the rose, describing the scenario of a conversation to be kept a secret. Conclave is Anglicised from 'con-clave' (pron: kon-klah-veh) which means, if i remember correctly, "with key", again describing a meeting behind closed doors.

Another phrase I've always loved is by F. Scott Fitzgerald, its a title for one of his novels actually, 'Tender is the night'. This phrase brings to mind all waffley sentiments and mush.

Incidentally, a collection of Fitzgerald's works was my 1st Valentine present as i was growing up. That, together with a stalk of falling-apart rose and a box of Cadbury chocolates - won me over. Strangely, no words accompanied those gestures, but even for a word-nut, i have to admit that there are times when words are just, unnecessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home