Saturday, July 22, 2006

A lesson in diplomacy

I might have killed my chance of getting my dream job by unintentionally giving the wrong vibe today to someone who has the right contacts and is in the position to help me clinch it.
My mouth, honesty/straight-talk/tactlessness - works against me yet again. I basically said no to a project-basis job for her own company which she offered me. I had my reasons for rejecting it but I'm not sure if she took it the wrong way.
So I came back home feeling bad and sorry for myself and in no small amount majorly pissed off with the husband for giving me the "what did you say that for?" lecture. In my heart, I knew I should have left the door open instead of idiotically dismissing it outright and it hurt my pride doubly that I had to hear my stupidity dissected again to me from the husband who made no effort to spare my feelings and didn't mince his words.

Anyway. I have resolved to use whatever resources and will-power I have to go and get the jobs on my own. I've always been a firm believer in not pulling strings anyway. Ahh...is this me attempting to comfort myself? Job-hunting is depressing and drains every precious ounce of my happiness :(

________________
I'm volunteering at the National Museum in September, for the Cine Singapore events. Its a series of movie screenings directed and produced by homegrown talents. Hopefully the free movie screenings I'll get in return will cheer me up in the coming days.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

This happened to me. Certain questions in an interview are 'core' questions. If one answer isn't what they want to hear, then the offer is off. If you didn't land this one, maybe you'll get a better one? Then this might be a blessing in disguise.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Nothing wrong with being transparent and honest.I am glad you don't wear a mask...see my short verse on the one who did! It takes a lot of courage but at the end of the day (cliche), you will sleep better and be much happier and you poetry will then be really real!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Liz,
Tks for the encouragement...I am leaving things to God's hands. I'm sure if i dont get this, he has other designs for me and thinking of this gives me some assurance.

Plus Ultra,
Thanks for visiting my blog and reading this post. Sometimes, I wish I am better at giving answers that people want to hear :) I tried to look for your writing, but i couldn't find it. Hope you can give me the link cos I would really like to get your point of view on this.

Peter,
thanks!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

I always wonder when I get things right, cause nobody's quick to tell me that!! There are always many drivers, but only you at the wheel.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Hi, go to http://www.alwaysmorebeyond.blogspot.com or click at my picture, manage to read the rest of your postings

10:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Don't be discouraged; your expertise was not meant for them (that company) because it belongs to a nobler corporate entity. Don't worry, you'll find it in due time and hey, don't lose your poise and sense of humor.

Just laugh it off; who knows, three weeks from now (maximum)you'll find what you're looking for - a better one with a better offer.

Cheers,

Danny

1:30 AM  
Blogger floots said...

forgive me for this cliche
(but there is much truth within it)
to yourself you must be true
- if the job's not right then bin it

good luck
enjoy the free filmings :)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Pat,
Very good perspective, thank you!

Plus Ultra,
thank you...will check it out soon for sure :)

Danny,
You're a sweetheart, thank you...I read your other poems, they're good!

Floots,
Havent had time to visit your blog, will visit soon. Miss your writings :(

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home