Friday, August 04, 2006

Resuscitating a near-dead muse

After prolonged periods of procrastination, I've finally moved all my poems written since march this year to a new blog I've called Poetry Play.

Well, I feel the name of this new baby is apt as the works there are too amateurish at this point in time to be regarded as anything resembling good poetry. By moving the poems there, I should be able to do a better job at tracking how much effort I've been putting into practising the craft, whether the quality of works have improved or declined and so on.

So now I am jolted into the realization that I have been extremely lazy since early July, I think, which was when I had written last. To be honest to myself, I have been feeling extremely despondent. I've been reading other people's blogs and seeing some of them generating great poems or essays on a daily basis! And then I think about what I'm doing here. I'm doing at best, 2 poems now a month, and if I'm lucky 1 out of the 2 will be something I can be proud of. I have to keep telling myself I just have to keep at it until it comes naturally, like breathing. Until then, each poem that has to be squeezed out with great amounts of difficulty will come with much spiritual suffering and muse-bashing! Being over-dramatic as usual, aren't I? :)

On a side-note, I have been side-tracked from my writing by the collection of new DVDs piled temptingly on the bedroom TV. I just finished watching 'Memoirs of a geisha'. Fantastic cinematography, art direction and acting all around by Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li etc, etc, but sadly the storyline itself fell short of the ideal. Isn't it sad that Chiyo's ( Zhang Ziyi) fate and entire life in this movie revolved around a man that she met when she was a child who displayed kindness to her, and to whom she immediately decided to dedicate her whole life to?

I suppose a woman's life and perspective of the world was narrow in that era so i really shouldn't be nit-picking this. But i have to confess I'm a tad weary of the typical heroine who measure out their destinies in life according to whether the hero eventually realizes their worth and accepts their love. Is this really typical of women?

Do we actually have this Pick Me!!! Choose Me!!! Love Me!!! syndrome inbuilt into our female genes?

2 Comments:

Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

Blogroll updated accordingly. :) Best of luck on the writes. Don't bash the muse too much. ;) I've learnt it's good to persist, like sticking to a regular habit: setting aside some time for writing each day or week, but not good if you get too stressed out or too self critical.

7:18 PM  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

wah, you bash your muse, poor thing. :) you must pamper your muse lah. then u can squeeze some good stuff out of her.

just kiddin' lah. like liz said, set aside some time to write but if no mood or inspiration, forget it, there will always be another day. :)

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home